Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Aiwa AD 6900 cassette decks

Tim Schwartz wrote in message
N_Cook wrote:
From 1978 , does anyone other than me repair these beasts ?
Only ever perished rubber problems but what a work up to get to a

position
to be able to just change belts.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Well,

I'll agree there. They are a royal pain to change the rubber parts in,
though when working they are nice decks. I now worry about the quality
of parts available, as Aiwa no longer supports these machines, and a lot
of the aftermarket belts are awful. Some of them look like they were
cut from used tire (tyre) inner tubes.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

At least I'm not alone, in touching these and in thinking they are right
pigs.
To get to anything, you have to disassemble something else and some you have
to jiggle around blind, before they line up again.

Got the manuals this time, for 2 to do, and the first I went through
dissassembly as per manual, which involves demounting the mains transformer
and like everything else the loom lengths are not enough to stow this big
lump out the way. Then a horrendous rat's nest of wiring to negotiate, and
managed to strain the deck light wires and of course broke at the bulb.

I think the second one I will do as I've done before, to get to the deck.
Remove the front and sub-front to free it. You have to wrap up the meters to
protect them and you cannot totally free the panel because the 1/4 inch
sockets are one-time fitted, and other end of cables inaccessible, so the
whole subpanel dangles, but easier to tie it up, out the way. That is
preferable to a dangling transformer and the rat's nest.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England