Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default the 'clicking' bit is the killer. Once drives die, they are dead.

wrote in news:3161c9d3-6e40-4aae-9af9-
:

Interesting! i tried that and all I found was that to change the
firmware on a Travelstar, you had to buy tens of thousands of dollas
worth of equipment. And then there was no place to download 'new'
firmware. (which was what made me think that this whole firmware thing
was a big hoax: If there is something wrong or old or non-functional
about firmware, why on earth would the manufacturer not want you to
update your hardware which suffers from this old firmware?)

How on earth did you do this, where was the download site for the new
firmware and does maxtor treat their drives any different from IBM/
Hitachi?

This guy has a series of lectures on how to fix hard drives
http://electronic-day.blogspot.com/s...Repair%20Hard%
20Drive

He changes electronics, sometimes heads, sometimes motors.

The electronics has a map of bad sectors remapped to spares. Those will be
wrong.
But some data recovery is better than none.

The electronics needs to be produced within a few months of the 'target
drive', even if the model and rev numbers are the same, changes occur.
But some data recovery is better than none.

--
bz

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap