Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default log burning - economical?

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

Heh. Chimney creosote fires are a hoot, don't you know?

Yup..

;-)

That;s no so much an issue with stoves though.. insulated liners reduce
condensation. You just shower the neighborhood with dioxins instead. ;-)

Everything has a drawback. I'm reminded of the double-oven Rayburn I
converted back from oil to run on solid fuel and fed with timber off the
hill at the back of the farm - that, and coal waste from the old coal
mine up the back. Cracking stove that was, and produced some wonderful
bread from those ovens.
One day there was a continuous roaring noise that rose in pitch until it
was like a jet engine whining away - the creosote and resins in the
chimney (unlined) had caught fire and continued to burn for a while
after I shut the dampers off. Luckily the chimney was in good nick and
the building didn't go up, but I was more careful about chucking
unseasoned wood on it after that.

I managed to start a chimney fire three times in in-laws house one winter.

I'm very good at stopping them.

Water on fire, followed by sheet of wood held over fireplace.

Repeat till the roaring stops...

Of course ifa everybody starts burning wood - or coal - again, it will be
back to 50's smog levels. And a new Clean Air Act.