Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Britians worst DIY'er

wrote:
On 11 Nov, 10:15, "dennis@home" wrote:
"George" wrote in message

Good, those things are horible, along with Aga, living flame gas fires,
picture rails, coving and most of the other cr@p stuff people used to have
in houses in the dark ages.

Err - what's wrong with picture rails? They allow you to move the
pictures around as frequently (or even more frequently) than the
significant other member of the household wants the furniture
rearranged. We also have a 'summer' and 'winter' set of pictures.
(Love allows one to put up with many things, even me)

To my mind it beats putting holes in the wall, which need making good
whenever we have a rearrangement.

As for 'living-flame', I think it slightly beats sitting round the
storage heater. I can't abide 'coal-effect' electric fires myself, but
'de gustibus non es disputandum' as they say.

Other pet hates are colourless transparent plastic tap tops, 'room
scenters' (especially the plug-in variety that give a squirt of
'perfume' every so often), any soft furnishing or upholstery with
ruffles, Crown Derby (how anyone can give it houseroom, I have no
idea). Swarovski crystal collections...

Sorry, I'll go and lie down.

Good workmanship using high quality materials with practical design
gets my vote. Gimcrack gew-gaws don't.

All the best,

Sid

The best thing about picture rails is the ease of hanging a picture
using two chains/strands/something-or-others. So they are much more
resilient to getting knocked off straight. (If you get them right in the
first place. :-) )

(No - we don't have picture rails. :-( )
--
Rod

onset.