Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Leaves for insulation

The Daring Dufas wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
BobR wrote:
On Nov 10, 3:18 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
If there were some source of fire. Which, not much source of possible
ignition under a trailer. It's still more combustibles to add to the
fire.

I have used the leaves from my trees to insulate my landscape plants
for many many years and never once had a fire. Then again, that was
in Houston where the leaves were almost always kept damp from rain or
sprinkler system. They were great for protecting my semi-tropical
plants from the occasional freeze. I didn't worry too much about fire
because they were against brick or stone and couldn't have spread the
fire very well. They also tended to pack down after a couple of rains
and if they did catch fire they would have burned very slowly.

That is far different from being under the shelter of a trailer where
they would continue to dry out. The big question that must always be
asked is rather the value to be gained is worth the risk that one
would incurr. A careless cigarette thrown by someone without thinking
could be all that would be needed. Those trailers are a tender box to
begin with.

You may be discounting the mindset of those who often live in
trailers. They think outside the box.

* Broken toilets used as planters
* Cars on blocks so the hounds can get out of the heat
* Old TV antennas used as clotheslines
* Garbage disposal is a 2x2 foot opening in the wall covered with
sliding glass portal, usually above the kitchen sink.
* Milk-crate yard furniture

Ya know, that sounds kinda like a frat house at Auburn University.

TDD

Oh, I dunno. I live alone, so on a regular basis the last tomato or two
in the pack gets mushy before I manage to eat it. Rather than see it go
to waste, I open the slider off the kitchen, and set it on the edge of
the deck. Something usually eats it within a day....

--
aem sends...