Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Leaves for insulation

In article , Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'll have to make him a sign "tin box, sweet tin box" and put a decorator
border on it.

Two years ago, a couple fellows from church helped me blow cellulose into
the ceiling of my trailer. That was a major benefit. I've suggested the
ceiling cellulose to him.

Cellulose sounds flammable to me. I wonder how that affects fire risk -
electric lights don't have an absolutely perfect safety record, even when
UL listed. Some don't handle insulation well. Some have poorly
determined ratings for maximum wattage of bulb to put in - I did once see
a UL listed lamp with the specified maximum wattage incandescent bulb
experience charring wire insulation because the rating was determined
poorly. The UL certification could even have been counterfeit.
I have also seen a fluorescent lamp ballast burn up with flames
(actually result thereof) by being unable to handle a foreseeable failure
mode (starter "got stuck" after trying repeatedly to start a dead lamp).
Apparently, the manufacturer had samples barely pass UL testing and I have
heard someone suggest to me that production units could have been slightly
chintzier than the units that UL approved. I do not expect such
barely-passing and corner-cutting to be limited to fluorescent lamps.

How about fiberglass or rockwool?

- Don Klipstein )