Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaves for insulation

I'll have to make him a sign "tin box, sweet tin box" and put a decorator
border on it.

Two years ago, a couple fellows from church helped me blow cellulose into
the ceiling of my trailer. That was a major benefit. I've suggested the
ceiling cellulose to him.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

Bags of leaves do have insulating value, however they have even greater
vermin factor and by spring you'll probably have a full infestation.

Not to mention the hilarity that will ensue when a passing breeze blows
a hot coal from the grill, or a lit cigarette butt, in amongst the bags.
Paper bags of dry leaves are what we used to use to start the grill fire
at the lake lot we had when I was a kid.

Having said that, I have seen people use hay bales, outside the
skirting, as a winter windbreak. I wouldn't rate that as much less risky
than bagged leaves.

They sell faced foamboard used for insulating the outside of the
exposed foundation real houses. A layer of that, well sealed together,
on the the skirting, would probably do more good, and be less prone to
become kindling. A row of dry concrete blocks on the ground provides a
good place the tie the bottom of the skirting down, so it doesn't flap
around.

I take it this is an older trailer, and gets a little breezy inside at
times? Plastic on the windows usually helps, as does caulk and/or a few
cans of Great Stuff foam around all penetrations of the outside
envelope. Any way to rig a windbreak on the side the prevailing wind
comes from? Only so much you can do to insulate a 3" wall. A tin box is
a tin box, etc.

--
aem sends...