Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus14646 Ignoramus14646 is offline

Default Result of FREEZING Fluke 97 vs. $3.99 Harbor Freight multimeter

On 2008-11-10, Tim Shoppa wrote:
On Nov 8, 10:38?pm, Ignoramus3975
wrote:
After spending half an hour in the freezer...

Fluke 97 was not functioning at all, but the Harbor Freight $3.99
multimeter continued to show function.

I think you're mostly measuring the point at which the LCD display
stops responding. Maybe if you had cranked the contrast all the way up
you could've seen it.

The test was a poor one, (probably mostly was testing the respective
batteries in the meters), but it shows that the HF one functions under
cold conditions.

The Fluke 97 scopemeter is a dot-matrix LCD display and won't work
well at all below freezing. The manual says operating range stops at
0deg C.

The Harbor Freight $3.99 unit is a 7-segment type LCD display and will
do quite a bit better below freezing.

Yep

Twenty or thirty years ago the 7-segment LCD displays got awfully
SSSSLLLLOOOOOWWWWW below maybe 40F. They have improved low-temperature
over the years but the dot-matrix LCD's are still not as
environmentally versatile.

I actually agree with everyone here who was praising Flukes, etc. But
in my truck toolbox, which I mostly use for buying things, testing
stuff to buy and getting stuff home, I have a disposable HF meter.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/