Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Result of FREEZING Fluke 97 vs. $3.99 Harbor Freight multimeter

"Winston" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

Wes, Fluke makes amazing products that while not cheap, are definitely
worth the price that you pay for them. And yes, you do have to pay for
quality. To compare them with HF products (which are essentially throw
away items) is absurd.

I bought a well - worn 8060A about 14 years ago from a recycling house and
used it for about six years.

It was around then that a buddy of mine told me he planned to go home
for a friend's wedding in India. His friend serviced electronics for a
living and 'got by' with an ancient VTVM (Remember those?).

I wanted to make sure the 8060A worked flawlessly before giving it to my
buddy as a gift for his friend. I sent the meter to Fluke.
They responded that it worked properly but there was significant wear on
the switches. They suggested that for a very nominal fee, the entire
guts of the unit could be replaced with NOS parts and they would ship it
back to me with a fresh calibration certificate. I gave them the 'go
ahead' and they shipped the meter back as promised. I put it in a new
travel case with some new Fluke test leads.

The look of astonishment and happiness on my buddy's face made the
whole enterprise worth it, especially when I explained that his friend
could look forward to many years of service from the meter because of
the NOS circuit card and display.

Life doesn't get much better than that.

The battery in my Fluke 75 is now 26 years old and the meter still works
perfectly. I don't even know how to change it. g

But I want to know what kind of battery that is. Jeez.

That would be:
BT1 Battery, 9 V, NEDA 1604/IEC 6F22, or NEDA 1604A/IEC 6LR61

You can order this exotic part (696534 or 614487) from Fluke, but I
suspect you can 'get by' with the drug store variety just fine.

From:
http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/Pr...(FlukeProducts)

--Winston

You inspired me to call Fluke and tell them about my original 26-year-old
ordinary alkaline battery, and the technician chuckled and said "yeah, we
hear that all the time." I'm still amazed. It's an ordinary 9V battery. And
the low-battery indicator on the meter still isn't showing.

--
Ed Huntress