Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Room stat and being green

Well, actually, rather than being green and thinking of the environment,
it's my pocket I'm thinking about.

In an effort to cut our gas bill I'm trying to get the family used to having
our programmer/room stat set at 20C instead of previous years where it's
been normal to have it at around 22-23C. The condensing combi boiler is up
in the loft and the guy who installed the system (which was already in when
we bought the house last year) installed the room stat in the living room.

A sort of an unintended side-effect of the desire to cut our bills is that
the living room seems to reach the required temperature of 20C quite easily
and the stat then shuts off the boiler, resulting in the rest of the house
being cold - or at least colder than son in his bedroom doing his homework,
daughter in her bedroom, and anyone wanting a shower, would like it to be.

The programmer/roomstat thingy is wireless so I can move it with minimal
disruption but the living room rad has no valves, which I know is the
correct way of doing things. I would think that the hallway would be a
better location for the stat but that rad has a TRV fitted. Am I alright in
just opening this TRV and telling everyone in the house that it must remain
permanently and fully open? I know it's a "bodge" and really, if I want to
move the stat I should drain the system, take the TRV off the hallway rad,
and install it on the living room rad, but that's such a lot of messing and
I'd rather wait until the system has to be drained for whatever reason and
do it all then.

TIA