Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default the 'clicking' bit is the killer. Once drives die, they are dead.

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 16:31:18 -0000, wrote:

On Nov 7, 10:42*pm, WT wrote:
I am looking for an 80 Gb Hitachi Deskstar hard drive, Model
HDS728080PLA380. *My brother's machine quit with the Hitachi "click of
death" and I am trying to find a working hard drive like his to swap
parts and try to recover their data. *Anyone have one sitting around?
I think his machine is an HP.

* WT

I have had this problem before a few times and have tried changing the
logic board on the drives, NEVER with any success.

Hitachi says this is because you have to find a drive with the same
FIRMWARE (whatever that means with a disc drive!) and in practice you
never will. There are complex pieces of astronomically expensive
equipment designed to re-write firmware, none apparently which do this
to failed drives.

But surely you can change the firmware of the good drive? And you can do it with software, at least I just did it with a bank of Maxtor SCSI drives on a server.

Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.