Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Result of FREEZING Fluke 97 vs. $3.99 Harbor Freight multimeter

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:16:10 -0600, the renowned "Pete C."
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

wrote:
... Fluke multimeter, ... If you
need the precision, accuracy, and quality, it's money well spent. If
you don't, there is always HF or Radio Shack whose products can only
tell you if the power is turned on or turned off.

I have an older Fluke bench DMM whose factory specs were impressive.
Present calibration unknown but more than adequate, I'm sure, for my
needs. There have been occasions when I used both the Fluke and the $3
HF DMM for the same test and the readings were essentially identical.
I.e., well within the precision that I was interested in. A couple %, IIRC.

YMMV,
Bob

Yep, some of the HF stuff is quite good. I have a few of the HF digital
calipers and also the 0-3" micrometer set. Since the micrometer set
includes 1" and 2" standards, I checked them with the digital calipers
and what do you know, I got readings of 1.0000" and 2.0000". At some
point I'll get a gauge block set, but certainly that little test was
promising.

Maybe they're programmed to read 1.0000/2.0000 when they get within
half a thou or so since someone is obviously checking the calibration.

;-)

I guess we'll find out when I get a gauge block set...