Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Do I need a new SCMS?

The Medway Handyman wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Having built around 25 decks, my Axminster White SCMS is in a bad
way & needs replacing. I'm in a quandary, do I buy an ALDI el
cheapo and replace as necessary or shell out on a decent brand for
long term? Spot on 100% accuracy isn't essential, its only used for
decking -
trimming 150 x 47 softwood or 147 x 28 deck boards.

I'm now thinking do I need an SCMS at all? I have the idea of
making up a 'sawboard' with a right angle fence (I think Dennis
mentioned this idea) and using a circular saw.

I don't mind buying a new power tool :-) but its not just the cost.

An SCMS is a bulky & heavy item to store & squeeze into the van and
involves double handling of the timber very often. I don't use a
stand for the SCMS because that often involves lifting a 4.8m 150 x
47 and then holding it in place - PITA if you only have to trim 30cm
off. Easier at floor level. It occurs to me that a sawboard & circular
saw could be taken to the
timber, rather than taking the timber to the saw - I'd just need to
support the end, clamp on the sawboard & cut. Probably quicker.

Anyone see any snags in this cunning plan?

I use a made up ply T-square. The short bit of the cross piece is
(obviously) the distance from the blade to the fence, so you only have
to mark the timber and slide up to it. With rubber on the bottom you
don't even need to clamp it. You do need a small piece of ply on the
other end of the cross piece to keep it on the edge. Blimey, easier to
make one than describe how to. I'll post a pic if you're interested.

I've made up a jig, but I'd like to see a picky of yours. I'll show you
mine if you show me yours :-)

http://i36.tinypic.com/24lmwqr.jpg

A is the sawcut, and B the bit that keeps it on the edge of the timber.
Of course it's upside down and the camera has played havoc with the
perspective (it really is a 90 deg angle!)