Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03[_2_] DerbyDad03[_2_] is offline

Default Ceiling fixture wiring question

wrote:
On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 12:17:21 -0800, "alarman" wrote:

wrote:
You didn't look very hard

200.7(C)(2)Where a cable assembly contains an insulated conductor for
single-pole, 3-way or 4-way switch loops and the conductor with white
or gray insulation or a marking of three continuous white stripes is
used for the supply to the switch but not as a return conductor from
the switch to the switched outlet. In these applications, the
conductor with white or gray insulation or with three continuous white
stripes shall be permanently reidentified to indicate its use by
painting or other effective means at its terminations and at each
location where the conductor is visible and accessible.

tape is considered an effective means.

I stand corrected, and admit that I wasn't aware of the NEC change.

No problem. I agree the "code churn" caused by a 3 year cycle creates
unnecessary confusion. I really think they should go with a 10 year
cycle and get it right before they print it.

Be careful what you wish for.

I know you said "get it right before they print it" but we all know that
no matter how well intentioned they (and we) are, it is not going to be
perfect - ever. Things change, new ideas come up, old believes are
proved to be wrong.

What do you think would be worse - the code churn caused by a 3 year
cycle or living with whatever is wrong with the current code for 10 years.