Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Leaves for insulation

Pete C. wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
A friend of mine asked if it's practical to use bagged leaves as insulation.
Under a trailer "mobile home". My first thought is that the leaves will
decompose, and make a mess. He says to catch them when the leaves are fairly
dry.

Bags of leaves do have insulating value, however they have even greater
vermin factor and by spring you'll probably have a full infestation.

Not to mention the hilarity that will ensue when a passing breeze blows
a hot coal from the grill, or a lit cigarette butt, in amongst the bags.
Paper bags of dry leaves are what we used to use to start the grill fire
at the lake lot we had when I was a kid.

Having said that, I have seen people use hay bales, outside the
skirting, as a winter windbreak. I wouldn't rate that as much less risky
than bagged leaves.

They sell faced foamboard used for insulating the outside of the
exposed foundation real houses. A layer of that, well sealed together,
on the the skirting, would probably do more good, and be less prone to
become kindling. A row of dry concrete blocks on the ground provides a
good place the tie the bottom of the skirting down, so it doesn't flap
around.

I take it this is an older trailer, and gets a little breezy inside at
times? Plastic on the windows usually helps, as does caulk and/or a few
cans of Great Stuff foam around all penetrations of the outside
envelope. Any way to rig a windbreak on the side the prevailing wind
comes from? Only so much you can do to insulate a 3" wall. A tin box is
a tin box, etc.

--
aem sends...