Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Phone Question on Cable/Traditional

HeyBub wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
LouB wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 8, 12:07 am, Bert Byfield wrote:
I've got two land lines, one cable and one traditional phone
company. And I have a telephone that handles two phone lines. Can
I plug the two different types of phone lines into the same
telephone?
Yes, but why?

Would it be cheaper to get a second line from the cable company
and eliminate the TelCo bill?
Some people like regular # for 911 safety.

Lou
Or some need to use 1980 technology acoustic modems to have their
pacemakers checked.
1. Can't an acoustic modem work with a VoIP line?

2. In many respects, a cell phone is better for contacting 911 than
an ordinary land-line. A cell phone connection, for example, can't
be cut by the invading goblins.

Does the term 'single point of failure' ring a bell? If all your
connectivity to the outside world is through a single pipe, if that
pipe has any problems, you are cut off. I have 3rd-party DSL that
rides a separate pair of wires. I have had it go down, and the POTS
dial tone still worked. I have had the POTS dial tone go down, and
the DSL still worked. I have Satellite for TV, but I also have a roof
antenna for days the satt is being cranky. I even have a toy pre-paid
cell, mainly for travel, but I still keep a 2-way radio in the car.

Yes, I always recommend to people that they keep their copper line. I
also recommend they keep one stone-age line-powered corded Real
Telephone plugged into it. Like the ones they had in the house as a
kid, the Ma Bell WE style. Modern phones are disposable, and subject
to silent failures. The old 500/2500 desk sets are damn near
indestructible.

Good points, all. But do you have a gun? Better, of course, is two guns.

Wise people who own guns don't talk about them.

--
aem sends...