Posted to alt.home.repair
LouB LouB is offline

Default Phone Question on Cable/Traditional

wrote:
On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 08:14:45 -0500, LouB wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
LouB wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 8, 12:07 am, Bert Byfield wrote:
I've got two land lines, one cable and one traditional phone
company. And I have a telephone that handles two phone lines. Can
I plug the two different types of phone lines into the same
telephone?
Yes, but why?

Would it be cheaper to get a second line from the cable company and
eliminate the TelCo bill?
Some people like regular # for 911 safety.

Lou
Or some need to use 1980 technology acoustic modems to have their
pacemakers checked.
1. Can't an acoustic modem work with a VoIP line?

2. In many respects, a cell phone is better for contacting 911 than an
ordinary land-line. A cell phone connection, for example, can't be cut by
the invading goblins.

Yabut a cell phone system can be easily overloaded in a big emergency.

Lou

A 911 call from a cell phne doesn't give your exact location. If your
house is on fire or a loved one is in danger, that might be a
consideration. Often, 911 callers are unable to speak or answer
questions for a multitude of reasons. The dispatcher still knows where
the call is coming from and can send help immediately.

Some VOIP carriers have you register your location so 911 can know where
you live.

Lou