Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03[_2_] DerbyDad03[_2_] is offline

Default Phone Question on Cable/Traditional

aemeijers wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
LouB wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 8, 12:07 am, Bert Byfield wrote:
I've got two land lines, one cable and one traditional phone
company. And I have a telephone that handles two phone lines. Can
I plug the two different types of phone lines into the same
telephone?
Yes, but why?

Would it be cheaper to get a second line from the cable company and
eliminate the TelCo bill?
Some people like regular # for 911 safety.

Lou
Or some need to use 1980 technology acoustic modems to have their
pacemakers checked.

1. Can't an acoustic modem work with a VoIP line?

2. In many respects, a cell phone is better for contacting 911 than an
ordinary land-line. A cell phone connection, for example, can't be cut
by the invading goblins.

Does the term 'single point of failure' ring a bell? If all your
connectivity to the outside world is through a single pipe, if that pipe
has any problems, you are cut off. I have 3rd-party DSL that rides a
separate pair of wires. I have had it go down, and the POTS dial tone
still worked. I have had the POTS dial tone go down, and the DSL still
worked. I have Satellite for TV, but I also have a roof antenna for days
the satt is being cranky. I even have a toy pre-paid cell, mainly for
travel, but I still keep a 2-way radio in the car.

Yes, I always recommend to people that they keep their copper line. I
also recommend they keep one stone-age line-powered corded Real
Telephone plugged into it. Like the ones they had in the house as a kid,
the Ma Bell WE style. Modern phones are disposable, and subject to
silent failures. The old 500/2500 desk sets are damn near indestructible.

--
aem sends....

This is a very interesting discussion, but we still haven't heard back
from the OP as to whether 911 is the reason why he wants to run both
cable and TelCo phone service.

Hey Bert - you still out there?