Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] dmanzaluni@googlemail.com is offline

Default the 'clicking' bit is the killer. Once drives die, they are dead.

On Nov 9, 2:11*pm, (GMAN) wrote:
In article , wrote:

On Nov 7, 10:42=A0pm, WT wrote:
I am looking for an 80 Gb Hitachi Deskstar hard drive, Model
HDS728080PLA380. =A0My brother's machine quit with the Hitachi "click of
death" and I am trying to find a working hard drive like his to swap
parts and try to recover their data. =A0Anyone have one sitting around?
I think his machine is an HP.

=A0 WT

I have had this problem before a few times and have tried changing the
logic board on the drives, NEVER with any success.

Hitachi says this is because you have to find a drive with the same
FIRMWARE (whatever that means with a disc drive!) and in practice you
never will. There are complex pieces of astronomically expensive
equipment designed to re-write firmware, none apparently which do this
to failed drives.

Besides, why are you so sure it is some part wihch can be switched?

I have repaired many different brands of drives by replacing the logic board
from a known good drive to a bad drive.Saved many 18GB WD drives back then.