Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Do I need a new SCMS?

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Having built around 25 decks, my Axminster White SCMS is in a bad way &
needs replacing. I'm in a quandary, do I buy an ALDI el cheapo and replace
as necessary or shell out on a decent brand for long term?

As another alternative you may find you can replace bits of the existing
one to return it to serviceable condition. Axminster sometimes have
spares for these things.

Spot on 100% accuracy isn't essential, its only used for decking - trimming
150 x 47 softwood or 147 x 28 deck boards.

You could do that with a 10" chop saw rather than a sliding one probably.

I'm now thinking do I need an SCMS at all? I have the idea of making up a
'sawboard' with a right angle fence (I think Dennis mentioned this idea) and
using a circular saw.

I don't mind buying a new power tool :-) but its not just the cost.

An SCMS is a bulky & heavy item to store & squeeze into the van and involves
double handling of the timber very often. I don't use a stand for the SCMS
because that often involves lifting a 4.8m 150 x 47 and then holding it in
place - PITA if you only have to trim 30cm off. Easier at floor level.

I can see the dilemma. Although I expect if you had one of the decent
stands like Dom suggested you would find its actually quite a
comfortable way of working. Using a sliding saw you can also stack up a
pile of boards and cut a number at a time. The big SCMS will probably do
8 deck boards at a time for example.

(my 12" SCMS and stand is lovely to use for this sort of thing, but it
is 'kin heavy to shift about. The Makita stand is nice and solid, but
being steel rather than Ali is pretty heavy just by itself).

It occurs to me that a sawboard & circular saw could be taken to the timber,
rather than taking the timber to the saw - I'd just need to support the end,
clamp on the sawboard & cut. Probably quicker.

Could be in some cases. As could be laying a number of boards overlength
and then trimming them all together with a hand held saw and a straight
edge.

--
Cheers,

John.