Posted to alt.home.repair
Aaron Fude Aaron Fude is offline

Default Unexpected opening in my radon remediation system

On Nov 7, 11:18*pm, George wrote:
On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 09:56:55 -0800 (PST),AaronFude

wrote:
Hi,

Myradonremediation systm, which features a 3" PVC pipe, had Y
coupling on it and open of the Y's "ears" is open with no pipe
connected to it and no cap. What's the point of that?

So I took a chance and capped it and myradonlevels went from 2.8 to
1.8. *Did theradonpeople just screw up or what? Does this mean I can
get a smaller fan now?

Maybe they were allowing for a possible 2nd penetration, but didn't need
it. *And then forgot to close the port. *

When I did ours, I spent a lot of time investigating the fan size, and
ended up just guessing at it. *One article I read (can't find the URL)
said that a lot of professionally-installed fans are oversized - just
put something in, and if it works, we're outta here.

Out of curiosity, what level did you have before the system was
installed? *I'm surprised you were getting any useful suction with the
pipe open. *Is it possible it wasn't fully open, like maybe they'd stuck
a rag in there?

With the system off, it's 6-7. with the system on Y open it's 3. and
now that I capped it, it's 2.