Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unexpected opening in my radon remediation system

Hi,

My radon remediation systm, which features a 3" PVC pipe, had Y
coupling on it and open of the Y's "ears" is open with no pipe
connected to it and no cap. What's the point of that?

So I took a chance and capped it and my radon levels went from 2.8 to
1.8. Did the radon people just screw up or what? Does this mean I can
get a smaller fan now?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I have no answer, but out of curiosity, did the open leg of the "Y" point up
or down. I don't think a smaller fan would change anything for the better,
as it is lowering your readings now.

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

My radon remediation systm, which features a 3" PVC pipe, had Y
coupling on it and open of the Y's "ears" is open with no pipe
connected to it and no cap. What's the point of that?

So I took a chance and capped it and my radon levels went from 2.8 to
1.8. Did the radon people just screw up or what? Does this mean I can
get a smaller fan now?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

My radon remediation systm, which features a 3" PVC pipe, had Y
coupling on it and open of the Y's "ears" is open with no pipe
connected to it and no cap. What's the point of that?

So I took a chance and capped it and my radon levels went from 2.8 to
1.8. Did the radon people just screw up or what? Does this mean I can
get a smaller fan now?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

It turns out that oxygen, while producing a short-term burst of physical
energy and mental clarity, burns out the body faster. That's why oxygen
bars aren't so popular anymore.

The latest medical findings indicate that radon in carefully metered
amounts is actually beneficial to the human body, and radon bars are
popping up. Fortunately, you have your own. You should spend 30 minutes
per day nursing on the open Y.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 09:56:55 -0800 (PST), Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

My radon remediation systm, which features a 3" PVC pipe, had Y
coupling on it and open of the Y's "ears" is open with no pipe
connected to it and no cap. What's the point of that?

So I took a chance and capped it and my radon levels went from 2.8 to
1.8. Did the radon people just screw up or what? Does this mean I can
get a smaller fan now?

Maybe they were allowing for a possible 2nd penetration, but didn't need
it. And then forgot to close the port.

When I did ours, I spent a lot of time investigating the fan size, and
ended up just guessing at it. One article I read (can't find the URL)
said that a lot of professionally-installed fans are oversized - just
put something in, and if it works, we're outta here.

Out of curiosity, what level did you have before the system was
installed? I'm surprised you were getting any useful suction with the
pipe open. Is it possible it wasn't fully open, like maybe they'd stuck
a rag in there?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

With the system off, it's 6-7. with the system on Y open it's 3. and
now that I capped it, it's 2.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

With the Y open, it might have been sucking enough (radon-contaminated)
air out of the basement to 'work'. Do you have a vacuum gauge on the
line? I'd try popping the Y on mine, but my manometer has a water
bubble that I can't get rid of.