Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] dom@gglz.com is offline

Default Do I need a new SCMS?

When I was doing a lot of 50*200 joists (80 or so), it was easier to
slide each one of the end of the bundle (as dropped outside by the
builders merchant), clamp on a right angle template (a bit like a
bench hook) and use a hand held circular saw.

However that was when the alternative a basic DW700 DeWalt SCMS and
its very basic leg stand. I used to use improvised supports for the
long end of long timbers.

More recently, I took the plunge an bought the 12" Bosch SCMS and the
bosch bench for it.

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/?option=sh...FRyB1Qod81ppPQ

This is sufficient to support 4.8m timbers, and because the timber
supports (one either end) and the saw are all on a common base - it's
all completely level and square.

It's a lot of dosh, but has transformed the way I work. I now have a
stack of 4.8m timbers at one end of the bench, and simply slide the
next one off the top of the bundle and up onto the bench and snip off
what I need.

I've found in practice I don't end up with a lot of short ends
(because I always look at the odd bits stacked vertically first), and
simply order another bundle from the BM's as necessary. By sticking to
the largest size my bench can handle comfortably, I think I've got it
as efficient as I can in terms of timber handling and simplified
ordering.

So my advice is - if you replace your SCMS - budget for a bench (and
you'll probably not want to go back to a handheld CS unless you have
to).