Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do I need a new SCMS?

R D S wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Having built around 25 decks, my Axminster White SCMS is in a bad
way & needs replacing. I'm in a quandary, do I buy an ALDI el
cheapo and replace as necessary or shell out on a decent brand for
long term? Spot on 100% accuracy isn't essential, its only used for
decking -
trimming 150 x 47 softwood or 147 x 28 deck boards.

I'm now thinking do I need an SCMS at all? I have the idea of
making up a 'sawboard' with a right angle fence (I think Dennis
mentioned this idea) and using a circular saw.

I don't mind buying a new power tool :-) but its not just the cost.

An SCMS is a bulky & heavy item to store & squeeze into the van and
involves double handling of the timber very often. I don't use a
stand for the SCMS because that often involves lifting a 4.8m 150 x
47 and then holding it in place - PITA if you only have to trim 30cm
off. Easier at floor level. It occurs to me that a sawboard & circular
saw could be taken to the
timber, rather than taking the timber to the saw - I'd just need to
support the end, clamp on the sawboard & cut. Probably quicker.

Anyone see any snags in this cunning plan?

I fancied one of these a while back after seeing a demo on a shopping
channel (yes, I know!) was about £30.
http://www.macboard.qc.ca/
Can't find any for sale in the UK ATM though.

Screwfix sell something similar
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/24972/...0GUIDE-_-24972

The downside is that the timber has to pass through the guide, I want
something I can just drop on top & clamp.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk