Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do I need a new SCMS?

Having built around 25 decks, my Axminster White SCMS is in a bad way &
needs replacing. I'm in a quandary, do I buy an ALDI el cheapo and replace
as necessary or shell out on a decent brand for long term?

Spot on 100% accuracy isn't essential, its only used for decking - trimming
150 x 47 softwood or 147 x 28 deck boards.

I'm now thinking do I need an SCMS at all? I have the idea of making up a
'sawboard' with a right angle fence (I think Dennis mentioned this idea) and
using a circular saw.

I don't mind buying a new power tool :-) but its not just the cost.

An SCMS is a bulky & heavy item to store & squeeze into the van and involves
double handling of the timber very often. I don't use a stand for the SCMS
because that often involves lifting a 4.8m 150 x 47 and then holding it in
place - PITA if you only have to trim 30cm off. Easier at floor level.

It occurs to me that a sawboard & circular saw could be taken to the timber,
rather than taking the timber to the saw - I'd just need to support the end,
clamp on the sawboard & cut. Probably quicker.

Anyone see any snags in this cunning plan?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk