Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Remodeling home...consult architect or interior designer first?

jecky wrote:
DH & I are planning on remodeling our very tiny galley kitchen and
adjoining family room by expanding out about 8 feet. The problem is,
neither one of us has an eye for what goes together. We both know what we
like/don't like when we see it, but just aren't creative enough to
coordinate things on our own.

So, are we better off getting an interior designer's perspective first, or
hiring an architect? Are architects trained in any way to help people
decide on things like what countertop color looks best with a particular
cabinetry color? On the flip side, would an interior designer be aware of
things like plumbing & electrical requirements/codes? This is the home we
plan on staying in for at least the next 15 years, until our children
finish school, so we'd like to make it very much "ours".

Can anyone help? TIA!

--
21

Hi,
Architect costs quite a bit of money. Interior designer? You said you
know what you like and don't. Why can't design yourself?(customize) Look
into magazines, visit show homes, etc., etc. Over our life time we have
5 houses and one cabin built and one renovation done from our original
plans and schemes. First thing is to know whether what you are trying to
do is possible. Structural engineer may have to take a look.