Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remodeling home...consult architect or interior designer first?

DH & I are planning on remodeling our very tiny galley kitchen and
adjoining family room by expanding out about 8 feet. The problem is,
neither one of us has an eye for what goes together. We both know what we
like/don't like when we see it, but just aren't creative enough to
coordinate things on our own.

So, are we better off getting an interior designer's perspective first, or
hiring an architect? Are architects trained in any way to help people
decide on things like what countertop color looks best with a particular
cabinetry color? On the flip side, would an interior designer be aware of
things like plumbing & electrical requirements/codes? This is the home we
plan on staying in for at least the next 15 years, until our children
finish school, so we'd like to make it very much "ours".

Can anyone help? TIA!

--
21
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 3:26*pm, jecky jeckyjil[at]gmail[dot]com wrote:
[...]

Architect, you are a LONG way from even thinking of the countertop
color. Get the expansion and gutting done with a local architect or
design/build firm familiar with your town. A good architect can get
you more sqare footage at less overall cost and do it right, an
interior designer should not be involved at all at this point IMHO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jecky" jeckyjil[at]gmail[dot]com wrote in message
[...]

An architect probably does not give a damn what color countertops you should
have with the harvest gold appliances, but they certainly know what is
required for the 8' expansion. Depending on local laws, you may need signed
drawings to get a permit.

Ad for the designer, that also depends on state laws. in the newspaper
(Hartford Courant) just yesterday there was an article about licensing for
Interior Designers versus someone that calls themselves Designer of
Interiors. To get a license for the Interior Designer, you take a two day
test and you have to know quite a bit of the plumbing and electrical codes.
The extension though, is exterior so they don't qualify for your building
portion. You may need both. A good kitchen shop may be of great help too
as some come up with amazing designs and layouts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jecky wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Architect costs quite a bit of money. Interior designer? You said you
know what you like and don't. Why can't design yourself?(customize) Look
into magazines, visit show homes, etc., etc. Over our life time we have
5 houses and one cabin built and one renovation done from our original
plans and schemes. First thing is to know whether what you are trying to
do is possible. Structural engineer may have to take a look.