Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default log burning - economical?

robgraham wrote:
On 7 Nov, 22:54, R D S wrote:
I am toying with a log burning stove which can do hot water and CH.

I would be interested to hear from anyone burning logs as to whether
they find it economical or not and any other input.

Cheers.

I don't think George's reply is quite what the OP was after - I
imagine it's the long term running costs he's looking for. But on the
capital side, the OP also needs to be aware that unless he goes the
chip wood route, a wood burner almost certainly needs to run in
parallel with a standard CH system which correspondingly means
modifications to the plumbing and boiler controls - Dunsley
Neutraliser and a differential thermostat on the log burner to turn
off the CH boiler when the fire is hot.

I can't give a monetary answer to the running costs because although
I've had a wood burner for many years I've always managed to get the
upwards of 2 tons of wood required each year for nought.

The cost is in the effort to achieve this - logging the wood (chain
saws - 22" and 15"), transporting it, hydraulic log splitter and under
cover storage near the house. Then add in the regular chimney
sweeping - maybe that's not so necessary with a steel liner (?).

The other problem is that in order to get the 15kw plus of heat for
the CH system a fairly large stove is required and it will emit a huge
amount of radiant heat into the room it's in. There maybe well be
stoves on the market now that are more efficient in heating water than
the room but that's the major parameter that I would be looking at if
I was having to replace mine now.

Rob

Yes, yes and yes.

The way to run solid fuel is to have a series of wood or coal burning
stoves or ranges arranged strategically throughout the house. One ****
off giant one is actually a pain for the reasons you cite.

Bro in law has Aga in kitchen (oil admittedly) that heats that and the
stairway and landing which is off the kitchen,and wood stove in living
room, which heats that and to an extent the bedrooms above.

CH boiler exists, but does hot water only until the depths of winter.
His fuel costs are,considering. reasonably low.

He gets cubic meters of wood at reasonable prices off an estate nearby.

Neither of us has hot water as an overriding cost. Space heating is the
killer.