Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
charlie charlie is offline

Default Basement door threshold installation

"Wally" wrote in message
I purchased an aluminum door threshold to use on my basement door
leading into my garage. Every year a small bottom of the door gap
allows cold air into the basement from the garage and I have been
using a rolled up towel to keep the drafts out (and heat in).

Anyway, I need to drill into concrete (I have the drill bit) in order
to screw the threshold down. The install directions say to use caulk
on both edges of the threshold for maximum sealing.
I was wondering what type/kind of caulk to use. Also, should I be
using a small amount of caulk (or even adhesive) on the entire length
of the bottom of the threshold too to really seal all the exposed
edges, or is screwing it down sufficient? Actually, as it has a
flexible vinyl bumber that would butt up against the door maybe I
don't need caulk along the length.

Thanks,
Walt

bumper.

use silicone II caulking along the bottom both as adhesive and sealing. it
comes in colors if you have to match it to something.