Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Basement door threshold installation

I purchased an aluminum door threshold to use on my basement door
leading into my garage. Every year a small bottom of the door gap
allows cold air into the basement from the garage and I have been
using a rolled up towel to keep the drafts out (and heat in).

Anyway, I need to drill into concrete (I have the drill bit) in order
to screw the threshold down. The install directions say to use caulk
on both edges of the threshold for maximum sealing.
I was wondering what type/kind of caulk to use. Also, should I be
using a small amount of caulk (or even adhesive) on the entire length
of the bottom of the threshold too to really seal all the exposed
edges, or is screwing it down sufficient? Actually, as it has a
flexible vinyl bumber that would butt up against the door maybe I
don't need caulk along the length.

Thanks,
Walt
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cross posting removed

"Wally" wrote in message

to screw the threshold down. The install directions say to use caulk
on both edges of the threshold for maximum sealing.
I was wondering what type/kind of caulk to use.
Thanks,
Walt

100% silicone is fine for metal to concrete. And that is the key. One that
bonds well to metal and concrete.

Most of the ones I have installed have a groove on edge side along the base
where the caulk is applied.

The 100% clear stuff is not going to store well so go ahead and add as much
as you like under the threshold.

Do make sure you have it properly cut and the door swing tested before you
apply the caulk. One screw is usually enough to hold it in place for
testing purposes.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Wally" wrote in message
[...]

bumper.

use silicone II caulking along the bottom both as adhesive and sealing. it
comes in colors if you have to match it to something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:

go ahead and add as much as you like under the threshold.

Don't apply too much. The first time I caulked under a threshold, I put
on so much that it held the door off the ground.

Use a moderate amount. ;-)

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , "charlie" wrote:

"Wally" wrote in message
[...]

Use polyurethane calk for strength. Really you don't have to drill if
you use that. Just clean everything before application. 3-4 times stronger
than silicone.

I just glued down a 4 inch PVC pipe after drilling about a dozen holes into
the slab. It hold real well. It takes a couple days before it really gets
tough. The holes were my tempoary radon suction point. There seems to be enough
gravel and floating in my slab that my simple radon removal system
works so well.

greg

Door Threshold Problem [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 2nd 09 04:05 AM
Repair of door threshold Kate Home Repair 8 October 11th 07 06:04 PM
Door Threshold thickness ? [email protected] UK diy 0 May 29th 07 06:34 PM
front door threshold Arthur UK diy 3 March 29th 07 11:49 PM
Threshold for 45" wide door [email protected] Home Repair 10 February 1st 07 02:06 AM