Posted to alt.home.repair
Mash Mash is offline

Default Ceiling fixture wiring question

It was necessary to wire it that way to include the wall switch in the
circuit and have a black wire and a white wire feed the light fixture. *If
you were to open up the switch you would find that the white wire is hot and
the black wire is the load feeding the fixture. *If the black on the switch
was hot and the white was the load you would end up with two white wires
feeding the light fixture. *This wiring scheme is normal and an accepted
practice.

Do not make any changes to the wiring. *Just disconnect the two wires from
the existing light fixture and connect the new light fixture to them.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks alot for the answers, that makes sense. I have one more
challenge though. The location of the current junction box is not
correct. I actually need to install my light about 1 foot away from
the current lights' location. So I can't just connect the new light to
where the current light is. My plan was to put a cover on the junction
box that is there now.
Then install a new junction box in the new, correct location. So I
guess what I need to do is bring into my new junction box C4 (from the
switch) and C3? Then wire the black from C4 to the light fixture and
take the white from C3 and wire to the other leg of the light
fixture? Then obviously continue the wiring on the old, existing
junction box.
Does that make sense?

c4 is your switch. the white in it should have been taped black.

I'm going to do that. Thanks