Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default DVD Burner Failure?

I've seen bad disks from all brands. I don't think there is actually any difference at all.

With one exception, some disks have a better protective coating, others are ruined just by putting them face down on a desk!

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 18:04:44 -0000, Chris F. wrote:

I think I've found the problem. I had been using the same batch of DVD-R's
for a couple of years now (a 50-pack goes a long way), so last night I tried
burning the same content onto discs from a different batch. All of them now
worked great. It seems the discs towards the bottom of the first batch are
defective, though I can't figure out why. I was told these Ridata discs are
supposed to be the best.
At least I don't need a new DVD-RW drive....
"Chris F." wrote in message
This may be slightly off-topic, but this seemed to be the best place I
could find.
I'm wondering if I need to replace the LG DVD-RW drive on my PC. The
drive appears to read CDs and DVDs just fine, but the trouble occurs when
I try to burn video DVDs (haven't tried any data DVDs yet). The write
process will appear to have been successful, but when I go to play the
disc back (on various players), only the first 5 minutes or so is
playable - after that, the video goes jerky and/or freezes. I've tried
burning several discs with different content, and with different levels of
compression, and have noted something odd. The problem seems to occur at a
certain physical place on the disc, regardless of the content. For
example, if I burn a disc at 100% quality, the video cuts out about five
minutes in. If I burn the same content at 50% quality, the video goes
about ten minutes before it cuts out. Examining the disc itself showed
something else very odd. The first 1/4" of the written area (from the
center) has a darker appearance than the rest of the disc. Previously
burned discs that turned out OK do not show this symptom - the entire
surface of the disc (the written area anyway) is the same color. All have
been recorded with the same media, hardware, software, and settings.
At this point I suspect that the laser is crapping out after it warms
up - would I be right? This drive has (successfully) burned hundreds of
CD's and DVD's in it's two-year lifetime, so failure would not surprise
me. But I'd still like to make sure before I shell out $50 for a new one.

Bad command or file name! Go stand in the corner.