Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DVD Burner Failure?

This may be slightly off-topic, but this seemed to be the best place I
could find.
I'm wondering if I need to replace the LG DVD-RW drive on my PC. The drive
appears to read CDs and DVDs just fine, but the trouble occurs when I try to
burn video DVDs (haven't tried any data DVDs yet). The write process will
appear to have been successful, but when I go to play the disc back (on
various players), only the first 5 minutes or so is playable - after that,
the video goes jerky and/or freezes. I've tried burning several discs with
different content, and with different levels of compression, and have noted
something odd. The problem seems to occur at a certain physical place on the
disc, regardless of the content. For example, if I burn a disc at 100%
quality, the video cuts out about five minutes in. If I burn the same
content at 50% quality, the video goes about ten minutes before it cuts out.
Examining the disc itself showed something else very odd. The first 1/4" of
the written area (from the center) has a darker appearance than the rest of
the disc. Previously burned discs that turned out OK do not show this
symptom - the entire surface of the disc (the written area anyway) is the
same color. All have been recorded with the same media, hardware, software,
and settings.
At this point I suspect that the laser is crapping out after it warms up -
would I be right? This drive has (successfully) burned hundreds of CD's and
DVD's in it's two-year lifetime, so failure would not surprise me. But I'd
still like to make sure before I shell out $50 for a new one.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 3 nov, 19:26, "Chris F." wrote:
This may be slightly off-topic, but this seemed to be the best place I
could find.
I'm wondering if I need to replace the LG DVD-RW drive on my PC.

Strange co-incidence. I have an LG HDD-DVD RH 200 (i think) standalone
unit and the drive has failed.
At first mine would not record, then wouldn't recognise dvd-rs of ny
kind, and finally failed to read anything.- cleaning didn't help. I
have no idea where to get a new drive....it's an ide, but the
mountings are not the same as a pc.

Anyway , at least with a PC any off th shelf burner should work, you
could ask on freecycle . scrap PCs often have the fitted so you could
get one for free.

-B
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I think I've found the problem. I had been using the same batch of DVD-R's
for a couple of years now (a 50-pack goes a long way), so last night I tried
burning the same content onto discs from a different batch. All of them now
worked great. It seems the discs towards the bottom of the first batch are
defective, though I can't figure out why. I was told these Ridata discs are
supposed to be the best.
At least I don't need a new DVD-RW drive....
"Chris F." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've seen bad disks from all brands. I don't think there is actually any difference at all.

With one exception, some disks have a better protective coating, others are ruined just by putting them face down on a desk!

"Chris F." wrote in message
[...]

Bad command or file name! Go stand in the corner.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 10:04:44 -0800, "Chris F."
wrote:

I think I've found the problem. I had been using the same batch of DVD-R's
for a couple of years now (a 50-pack goes a long way), so last night I tried
burning the same content onto discs from a different batch. All of them now
worked great. It seems the discs towards the bottom of the first batch are
defective, though I can't figure out why. I was told these Ridata discs are
supposed to be the best.
At least I don't need a new DVD-RW drive....

I'm glad it's sorted out. Blank DVDs vary a lot in quality. I just
had a spindle of Philips DVDs that recorded (and verified) fine, but
the last 20-30 minutes of the disc was unplayable on all but one of my
DVD players. A new spindle of DVDs works fine, and I tired 3
different burners.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

"Peter Hucker" wrote in
news
With one exception, some disks have a better protective coating, others
are ruined just by putting them face down on a desk!

Both surfaces need to be protected as the media is accessed thru the bottom
surface and is locate on the top surface (on single layer media) just under
the printed label.

Anything that obscures [a large enough area on] the bottom or deforms the
top will destroy data or make it unreadable.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

bz writes:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in
news
With one exception, some disks have a better protective coating, others
are ruined just by putting them face down on a desk!

Both surfaces need to be protected as the media is accessed thru the bottom
surface and is locate on the top surface (on single layer media) just under
the printed label.

Anything that obscures [a large enough area on] the bottom or deforms the
top will destroy data or make it unreadable.

On a DVD, the data is alwasy in the middle. So, for single sided DVDs,
the top (label side) doesn't really matter.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:26:36 -0000, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:

bz writes:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in
news
With one exception, some disks have a better protective coating, others
are ruined just by putting them face down on a desk!

Both surfaces need to be protected as the media is accessed thru the bottom
surface and is locate on the top surface (on single layer media) just under
the printed label.

Anything that obscures [a large enough area on] the bottom or deforms the
top will destroy data or make it unreadable.

On a DVD, the data is alwasy in the middle. So, for single sided DVDs,
the top (label side) doesn't really matter.

And the label side is pretty thick anyway as it's a label, or something tough enough to write on.

I've always seen scratches on the underside.

This guy's in the rear of a full elevator and he shouts, "Ballroom please."
A lady standing in front of him turns around and says, "I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was crowding you."
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I think I've found the problem. I had been using the same batch of DVD-R's
for a couple of years now (a 50-pack goes a long way), so last night I tried
burning the same content onto discs from a different batch. All of them now
worked great. It seems the discs towards the bottom of the first batch are
defective, though I can't figure out why. I was told these Ridata discs are
supposed to be the best.
At least I don't need a new DVD-RW drive....

I'm glad it's sorted out. Blank DVDs vary a lot in quality. I just
had a spindle of Philips DVDs that recorded (and verified) fine, but
the last 20-30 minutes of the disc was unplayable on all but one of my
DVD players. A new spindle of DVDs works fine, and I tired 3
different burners.
Andy Cuffe

Anyone had any success with dual layer disks? I've tried a few different makes both on a Sony domestic DVD recorder and a couple of Dell PCs. They appear to record fine, but playing them back results in extreme problems reading the disk when it gets to the second layer.

If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings."
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow writes:

On 07 Nov 2008 08:26:36 -0500, (Samuel M.
Goldwasser)wrote:

bz writes:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in
news
With one exception, some disks have a better protective coating, others
are ruined just by putting them face down on a desk!

Both surfaces need to be protected as the media is accessed thru the bottom
surface and is locate on the top surface (on single layer media) just under
the printed label.

Anything that obscures [a large enough area on] the bottom or deforms the
top will destroy data or make it unreadable.

On a DVD, the data is alwasy in the middle. So, for single sided DVDs,
the top (label side) doesn't really matter.

So if you scratch the reflective coating (label side) it won't harm
the DVD? I thought the #1 layer was the reflective coating and #2 was
under that for a DL disc. Guess I could scratch on and see

If that were true, explain how a double sided two layer DVD is
constructed.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

"Peter Hucker" wrote in
news
On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:26:36 -0000, Samuel M. Goldwasser
wrote:

bz writes:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in
news
With one exception, some disks have a better protective coating,
others are ruined just by putting them face down on a desk!

Both surfaces need to be protected as the media is accessed thru the
bottom surface and is locate on the top surface (on single layer
media) just under the printed label.

Anything that obscures [a large enough area on] the bottom or deforms
the top will destroy data or make it unreadable.

On a DVD, the data is alwasy in the middle. So, for single sided DVDs,
the top (label side) doesn't really matter.

The data on a DVD ROM is PRESSED into the upper surface, like CDs, from a
master.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-ROM

The reflective layer is then applied and covered with a label.

And the label side is pretty thick anyway as it's a label, or something
tough enough to write on.

Be careful HOW you write on it.
Don't use a ball point pen or pencil. They deform the surface and can
damage the data.

Some magic markers are ok but some ink solvents will damage the data.

I've always seen scratches on the underside.

Scratched and finger printed CD/DVD's can be recoverable.

Scratches can be polished away. Finger prints can be cleaned off.
Damage to the upper surface is permanent.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow writes:

On 07 Nov 2008 19:42:48 -0500, (Samuel M.
Goldwasser)wrote:

Meat Plow writes:

On 07 Nov 2008 08:26:36 -0500,
(Samuel M.
Goldwasser)wrote:

bz writes:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in
news
With one exception, some disks have a better protective coating, others
are ruined just by putting them face down on a desk!

Both surfaces need to be protected as the media is accessed thru the bottom
surface and is locate on the top surface (on single layer media) just under
the printed label.

Anything that obscures [a large enough area on] the bottom or deforms the
top will destroy data or make it unreadable.

On a DVD, the data is alwasy in the middle. So, for single sided DVDs,
the top (label side) doesn't really matter.

So if you scratch the reflective coating (label side) it won't harm
the DVD? I thought the #1 layer was the reflective coating and #2 was
under that for a DL disc. Guess I could scratch on and see

If that were true, explain how a double sided two layer DVD is
constructed.

Don't know. How bout a link to an explanation.

http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa13.htm
http://e-articles.info/e/a/title/DVD...nd-Technology/

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

bz writes:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in
news
On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:26:36 -0000, Samuel M. Goldwasser
wrote:

bz writes:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in
news
With one exception, some disks have a better protective coating,
others are ruined just by putting them face down on a desk!

Both surfaces need to be protected as the media is accessed thru the
bottom surface and is locate on the top surface (on single layer
media) just under the printed label.

Anything that obscures [a large enough area on] the bottom or deforms
the top will destroy data or make it unreadable.

On a DVD, the data is alwasy in the middle. So, for single sided DVDs,
the top (label side) doesn't really matter.

The data on a DVD ROM is PRESSED into the upper surface, like CDs, from a
master.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-ROM

The reflective layer is then applied and covered with a label.

Except that the data/reflective layer is near the center of the sandwich.
On a single sided DVD, there is a 0.6 mm dummy layer of plastic between
it and the label.

And the label side is pretty thick anyway as it's a label, or something
tough enough to write on.

That's on a CD. The label is applied on top of the dummy layer on a
single sided DVD.

Be careful HOW you write on it.
Don't use a ball point pen or pencil. They deform the surface and can
damage the data.

Some magic markers are ok but some ink solvents will damage the data.

On a CD.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 11:21:59 -0000, bz wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in
news
On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:26:36 -0000, Samuel M. Goldwasser
wrote:

bz writes:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in
news
[...]

I have used several makes of "permanent marker" with no problems. I obviously wouldn't use a pen or pencil. I've never seen anyone that daft - although I saw one woman write on the data side! To be fair it was a cheap disk with only a slight colour diffference betweeen the two sides.

I've always seen scratches on the underside.

Scratched and finger printed CD/DVD's can be recoverable.

Scratches can be polished away. Finger prints can be cleaned off.
Damage to the upper surface is permanent.

Sometimes I can repair scratches using a kit of polishes designed for this purpose, sometimes it fails. Depends how badly scratched it is. At work we have a lot of machines with those miniature DVD drives (lke you would find on laptops), and if the disk is not clipped in properly, it can jump out and end up between the drive and the case.

Sprinter Tim Montgomery is banned 2 years for doping.
Track officials began to suspect he might be juicing.
His personal best time recently broke the record held by Chuck Yeagar.

log burner Staffbull UK diy 62 December 26th 07 10:55 AM
oil burner [email protected] UK diy 4 December 27th 06 04:28 PM
Buy new Oil Burner or fix old one? Tony Home Repair 1 November 15th 06 12:20 AM
Gas burner Briggs Home Repair 3 July 13th 06 11:50 AM
Mad Dog CD burner JURB6006 Electronics Repair 7 November 22nd 04 12:33 PM