Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default exterior door leaking

On Nov 5, 11:07*pm, "Kevin" wrote:
Appears to be water. *And is tightly correlated to when it's raining
(outside in case you were wondering).

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Most doors *now days are foam filled, with some wood around the edge. What
is leaking out of your door? You should take your door back and get
another
one.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kevin" wrote in message
el.net...
I have an exterior door on my shop that is leaking. *I think it was hung
poorly and maybe the bottom seal is not working.

Any tips on hanging/sealing doors?- Hide quoted text -

Speculation mode on...

The problem isn't necessarily the door.

While you may indeed have a problem with the door - can't tell from
here - I'm wondering why water is running towards the door and not
away.

Submarine doors are made to be waterproof, shop doors typically
aren't. I'll hazard a guess and say you should fix the grading problem
before worrying about the door.

I had a "leaking door" in my basement when I first moved in, but as
soon as I stopped the water from building up outside the door, it
never leaked again.

Dug a pit, drilled holes in the top and bottom of a plastic 55 gallon
drum, dropped it in the hole, backfilled and covered the pit with a 4'
x 4' "deck". It would now take at least 55 gallons of water before it
could even begin to backup outside the door. 2 leaks in the first year
(before the fix) - zero in the last 23.

I still don't understand how the previous owners dealt with it for 30
years.