Posted to alt.home.repair

Default exterior door leaking

I have an exterior door on my shop that is leaking. I think it was hung
poorly and maybe the bottom seal is not working.

Any tips on hanging/sealing doors?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 4:27*pm, "Kevin" wrote:
I have an exterior door on my shop that is leaking. *I think it was hung
poorly and maybe the bottom seal is not working.

Any tips on hanging/sealing doors?

Leaking what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 17:46:25 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:7ef89817-4caf-4898-a70f-
:

On Nov 5, 4:27*pm, "Kevin" wrote:
I have an exterior door on my shop that is leaking. *I think it was hun

poorly and maybe the bottom seal is not working.

Any tips on hanging/sealing doors?

Leaking what?

Yea, could be mail hub for dogs I guess :-)

Could be!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Most doors now days are foam filled, with some wood around the edge. What
is leaking out of your door? You should take your door back and get another
one.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kevin" wrote in message
l.net...
I have an exterior door on my shop that is leaking. I think it was hung
poorly and maybe the bottom seal is not working.

Any tips on hanging/sealing doors?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think he's got door fluid running out of the door.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" wrote in message

Yea, could be mail hub for dogs I guess :-)

Could be!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 11:07*pm, "Kevin" wrote:
Appears to be water. *And is tightly correlated to when it's raining
(outside in case you were wondering).

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Most doors *now days are foam filled, with some wood around the edge. What
is leaking out of your door? You should take your door back and get
another
one.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Kevin" wrote in message
el.net...
I have an exterior door on my shop that is leaking. *I think it was hung
poorly and maybe the bottom seal is not working.

Any tips on hanging/sealing doors?- Hide quoted text -

Speculation mode on...

The problem isn't necessarily the door.

While you may indeed have a problem with the door - can't tell from
here - I'm wondering why water is running towards the door and not
away.

Submarine doors are made to be waterproof, shop doors typically
aren't. I'll hazard a guess and say you should fix the grading problem
before worrying about the door.

I had a "leaking door" in my basement when I first moved in, but as
soon as I stopped the water from building up outside the door, it
never leaked again.

Dug a pit, drilled holes in the top and bottom of a plastic 55 gallon
drum, dropped it in the hole, backfilled and covered the pit with a 4'
x 4' "deck". It would now take at least 55 gallons of water before it
could even begin to backup outside the door. 2 leaks in the first year
(before the fix) - zero in the last 23.

I still don't understand how the previous owners dealt with it for 30
years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 3:28*pm, "Kevin" wrote:
I don't believe water pools outside the door enough to spill over.

I believe the rain is hitting the door or elsewhere and then getting in.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

.... Snip...

Speculation mode on...

The problem isn't necessarily the door.

While you may indeed have a problem with the door - can't tell from
here - I'm wondering why water is running towards the door and not
away.

....Snip ...

I believe the rain is hitting the door or elsewhere and then
getting in

You *believe* or you *know*?

At this point it sounds like you have a symptom - water leaking under
the door - but you don't really know the cause.

May I suggest that you grab a friend and a garden hose and make some
pretend rain? With the friend (or you) and the hose outside, and you
(or the friend) inside, you might be able to determine the root cause
of your problem.

In your OP you said "I think it was hung poorly and maybe the bottom
seal is not working." IMHO, until you actually know where, but more
importantly *why*, the water is coming in, you won't know what needs
to be fixed. It could be a simple as adding a piece of drip edge or
awning above the door to redirect the water or it could indeed be a
poorly hung door. Maybe the door was not meant to seal out water and
should have a storm door added to isoloate it from the rain.

You also asked "Any tips on hanging/sealing doors?"

There are so many different types of doors, I don't think anyone could
answer that question without a lot more details. It could be anything
from a storm door to a wooden door to a steel door to a sliding door,
etc. etc. Any tips for hanging/sealing *your* door would depend on a
lot of specific factors.

In any case, you really do need to know why the water is coming in
before you can begin to solve the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Nov 6, 3:28*pm, "Kevin" wrote:
[...]

Best suggestion from DD. Find out where it's coming in then figure out
why it's coming in there. Then you can begin to figure out a solution.

Leaking Door nntp.fuse.net Home Repair 1 November 30th 07 05:02 PM
Building exterior door Doug Woodworking 6 August 21st 07 03:50 AM
varnish exterior door Art Home Repair 0 July 3rd 07 08:29 PM
Exterior Door Knobs Silas Home Repair 6 May 5th 07 11:43 PM
Need exterior door help barry martin Home Repair 5 October 24th 04 06:54 AM