Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel[_2_] Doctor Drivel[_2_] is offline

Default Talk the torque.

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Puzzled over the claimed torque of impact drivers.

I have battery & mains Makita impact drivers, both claiming torque of 130
+ Nm. Both certainly punch in screws & coach bolts with ease, much better
than a drill driver.

Two examples lately where they failed to cut the mustard. Inserting 140mm
x 6 mm multi monti's into brick (correct size pilot, clearance & depth of
hole) where the impact driver simply stopped leaving an inch of the fixing
protruding.

Another where a customer had used some 300mm timber connectors on railway
sleepers & his drill driver left several inches protruding. Tried the
impact driver which still wouldn't drive them completely flush.

Remove the screw and dip in grease. Then use grease on them all after.
With an Impact Driver just let the hammer work. The screw may not be turning
but the hammer is still smacking the screw. I have had it where the screw
then starts to to turn after I kept the driver on for a minute or so.

SDS's on low speed are great and will drive almost anything in.