Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default How to drill a 3/4" hole in metal?

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
It was just an example of a large bit. It can drill
a large hole. My 3/4 step bits have a 3/8 shank and
I have used them to drill 3/4" holes in 1/4 inch
aluminum without a problem. Comprehend before you
post.

TDD

Oh I do comprehend. Drilling a 3/4 hole with a 3/8 shank
through 1/4 aluminum could easily be a losing proposition.

It's no problem, I use my 15 year old B&D 12 volt
cordless drill and a touch of saw wax and it zips
right through it. I've built a lot of aluminum
store fronts and installed manual and automatic doors.
I have designed and built numerous items out of thick
aluminum plate and have no problem drilling holes.
I do have a 1/2 Milwaukee Hole Shooter that will take
your arm off if it gets hung and I only use it for
step bits that have a 1/2 shank. There are times when
I use my drill press for precision work but most of
the time, the 3/8 cordless works just fine.

TDD

The step bits are expensive but I bought a set of 3 from Harbor Freight for
$8.99. I am sure it's not as fancy as the $50.00 ones but for what I used
it for they worked great.