Posted to alt.home.repair
retired54 retired54 is offline

Default I cried...

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
"retired54" wrote:

Russia has severe internal problems. Putin views America's new president
elect as a threat because he knows if he tries to move into the Ukraine
or
Georgia it will be MORE difficult for Russia to hold due to political
strife. IMHO

Nah. Putin moved into Georgia because we were tied up in Iraq and
Afghan and nature abhors a vacuum. With a less aggressively minded
president, if anything that vacuum increases. Not weak, per se, but the
different mindset of relying on diplomacy until too late (as opposed to
the current tendencies to bring in the armed forces too early). The
political strife that would come about from entry into either, would be
internal to the country and we (as Europe) would have little to do with
it. As he learned from Georgia.

Obama's presidency only strengthens democracy through-out the world. Bush
did nothing but damage democracy through-out the world.

I doubt either had or will have that much of an impact. Democracies
come about (as we have been reminded of in Iraq and should have
remembered from the 60s adventures in Southeast Asia and South America)
when the society is ready, not when the US or Europe or anyone else
comes around knocking.

BTW: Russia's army is plagued by alcoholism and desertion. The fall in
the
price of a barrel of oil has all but emasculated Russia. Another good
reason
to conserve!

But it has a big Army and generally picks on the smaller countries,
so it has quite a bit to "give" as it were. Russia tends to work real
hard on showing how big and bad they are when they feel emasculated.
That and Putin needs to keep the great unwashed all shook up and looking
outward instead of noting the Emperors news clothes by looking in.

Oops

You view Russia as a threat. I view Putin and crew as trying desperately to
hang on to power. The invasion of Georgia didn't go their way due to the
things I already mentioned (political strife and desertion).

But you're entitled to your opinion and alternate points of view are
valuable, when they are based on fact.

Respectfully,

Olddog