Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Copper pipe and cabel - cheaper when?

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
So did you find any problems during the basic install (before you added
the extra mods) - or are there any gotchas worth knowing about?

No - that part was ok. Only slightly strange thing with the Vitodens 200
was they didn't show the safety overflow - despite *all* the other
pipework being very clearly indicated in the installation instructions.

Thanks Dave. I'll look out for weirdnesses like that,

I'm fitting the Vitodens Compact 100 which is about the simplest unit
they make (and purposely so).

My feeling was that a system boiler would suit my needs better -
especially if it came to the point where someone else had to do fault
finding etc.

I agree. Though a thermal store looks like a hideous beast with all the
pumps, etc, it's actually a fairly modular system.

My reckoning is: store tank will never fail, pumps are bog standard
Grundfoss units, mixers valves are probably the most esoteric part. I'm not
even going to bother with DPS's fancy controller module. I'd rather take
the two tanks stats via a relay box back to the boiler along with the
boiler pump. Power for the HW circuit pump and room-stat-timer control to
the rad pump.

Immersions are 3kW units (bog standard) rather than the slightly odd 6kW
option that needs external dry-overheat protection.

So, despite it being a very custom system overall, absolutely everything
likely to be a maintenance item will a standard device. Same with the
boiler. One circuit, full power when asked for, don't even need a
modulating burner AFAICS, though that's probably hard to avoid.

The only thing I'm not bothering with (probably) is the UFH options. I'll
have a max of two UFH installations and I reckon it's probably easier to
put in a local mixer/pump for each one off the rad circuit. But I'm open to
reconsidering that one.

Cheers

Tim