Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker DLT Steve Barker DLT is offline

Default cast iron downspout

wouldn't they have to go to a pawn shop to see if they are 'hocked' up?

wrote in message
So I guess the best thing to do is call the municipal office and see
if the pipes where hocked up to the storm drain system as something
should be documented, any other system should back up with a simple
test of filling it with water from a hose.

On Nov 4, 7:09 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:
Hi,

I have aluminum downspout that go into a cast iron pipe. I pulled it
out as I thought it was plugged. I discovered that it was not plugged
and also that there seamed to be another pipe in the ground. Does
anyone know where that pipe goes and/or how the cast-iron-pipe-in-the-
ground system works?

Thanks,

Carl

http://www.gaihosa.com

It seams to me that there's insufficient info in your post to give a
specific answer.

That cast iron pipe could lead to a municipal sewer or storm drain
system, or it could go into a "drywell" on your property which could be
an underground cavern filled with small stones.

It's serendipidous that just yeaterday I received a recorded phone
message at home telling me that I needed to set up an appointment for an
engineering firm hired by our town to come out and inspect our property
to see if I had anything other than household plumbing fixtures
connected into the town sewer.

They are looking for stuff like (maybe your) gutter downspouts, driveway
drain grates. basement sump pumps or "french drains" which can put water
into the sewer lines.

I suppose if they find such things the homeowner will get a surcharge on
your water/sewer bill.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia