Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cast iron downspout

Hi,

I have aluminum downspout that go into a cast iron pipe. I pulled it
out as I thought it was plugged. I discovered that it was not plugged
and also that there seamed to be another pipe in the ground. Does
anyone know where that pipe goes and/or how the cast-iron-pipe-in-the-
ground system works?

Thanks,

Carl

http://www.gaihosa.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

I have aluminum downspout that go into a cast iron pipe. I pulled it
out as I thought it was plugged. I discovered that it was not plugged
and also that there seamed to be another pipe in the ground. Does
anyone know where that pipe goes and/or how the cast-iron-pipe-in-the-
ground system works?

Thanks,

Carl

http://www.gaihosa.com

It seams to me that there's insufficient info in your post to give a
specific answer.

That cast iron pipe could lead to a municipal sewer or storm drain
system, or it could go into a "drywell" on your property which could be
an underground cavern filled with small stones.

It's serendipidous that just yeaterday I received a recorded phone
message at home telling me that I needed to set up an appointment for an
engineering firm hired by our town to come out and inspect our property
to see if I had anything other than household plumbing fixtures
connected into the town sewer.

They are looking for stuff like (maybe your) gutter downspouts, driveway
drain grates. basement sump pumps or "french drains" which can put water
into the sewer lines.

I suppose if they find such things the homeowner will get a surcharge on
your water/sewer bill.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

So I guess the best thing to do is call the municipal office and see
if the pipes where hocked up to the storm drain system as something
should be documented, any other system should back up with a simple
test of filling it with water from a hose.

On Nov 4, 7:09*pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

The cast iron pipe is half underground and half aboveground. Above
ground it is seemed to the aluminum downspout however underground it
does not seam to be seemed but I cannot see the pipe underground very
well. I will check it again tomorrow.

wrote in message

Hi,

I have aluminum downspout that go into a cast iron pipe. *I pulled it
out as I thought it was plugged. I discovered that it was not plugged
and also that there seamed to be another pipe in the ground. *Does
anyone know where that pipe goes and/or how the cast-iron-pipe-in-the-
ground system works?

Thanks,

Carl

http://www.gaihosa.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:27:15 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Hi,

I have aluminum downspout that go into a cast iron pipe. I pulled it
out as I thought it was plugged. I discovered that it was not plugged
and also that there seamed to be another pipe in the ground. Does
anyone know where that pipe goes and/or how the cast-iron-pipe-in-the-
ground system works?

Thanks,

Carl

http://www.gaihosa.com

Those cast iron pipes always go thru the earth and come out on the
other side of the earth. That's what makes it rain on the other side.
If you live in the US, you are supplying rain to China. As you all
know, the rain comes up from the ground on the other side of the
planet, as is everything else in reverse.

Here's how to test the pipe. Learn to speak Chinese or at least say a
few common words to them. Look down the pipe and hollar loudly
something like "Hello China" (in chinese). They will likely answer if
the pipe goes there. If not, yell louder, and maybe get a few drunken
neighbors to yell along with you..... Be patient, they might be busy,
so try a little later if no one answers.

What if the pipe was actually made in China?
Does it not have a built in translator?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I believe in our area if they find these things attached to the sewers (as
in Sanitary) you are ordered to disconnect. The sanitary sewers system can
not handle that much water and the treatment facilities overflow in heavy
rains. This leads to raw sewage in the rivers and fines from the EPA.

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
unications...
wrote:

[...]

cast iron [email protected] Metalworking 19 February 29th 08 01:25 AM
PVC to cast iron Keith Home Repair 3 February 23rd 06 06:02 PM
Experience with Cast Iron wheels vs Cast Aluminum Brad Woodworking 3 July 19th 05 11:52 PM
Req'd: Cast Iron Soil Pipe bracket and Cast Iron>Plastic fittings John Borman UK diy 1 January 9th 05 09:05 PM
Wrought Iron, Cast Alum and Cast Iron Decorative welding Roy Metalworking 7 April 30th 04 08:52 AM