Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Howard Garner Howard Garner is offline

Default Sic semper tyrannis

Mark F wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:
"F. George McDuffee" wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 05:33:25 -0800, "SteveB"
toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

I'm off to a 14 hour day working as an election worker. I'm afraid
for my
country today. Vote for whoever you believe in, and live with it. I'm
going to vote for the man who is proud to be an American.

Steve
------------------------
Thanks for the service. Its citizens like you that make *ANY* of
this work.

I just had a long conversation with a close friend in Brazil
using MSN messenger about the mechanics of the US elections. The
Brazilians continue to be amazed at the continued problems we
have with such a simple activity as voting.

Voters in initiative states such as California may want to
consider a petition drive to force the state to adopt the
Brazilian system including mandatory voting.

Why mandatory voting?

--
Ed Huntress

I personally favor using voters who are capable of understanding
the basics of any issue. What is the value of a vote by a person
who neigher understands nor cares about an issue or, for that matter,
a party's policies? Yeah, I know, a vote is a vote is a vote, and it
matters not that a comatose or substance-stupefied zombie cast same,
at least to the person or party who "registered" said zombie.

And then, I look around and think "perhaps an IQ test". At that point
I reflect on the many incredibly bright but hopelessly maladjusted and
misguided persons I've met, maybe myself included, and don't really
want THEM ruling my country or the one adjacent.

I think I'll go and rent that Peter Sellers classic movie, "Being
There", again, at least there's some humor to be found. That is, if
it hasn't been removed from the shelves by some zealot.... /mark

Perhaps we need to move to multiple votes for each person based on
various criteria.

A read on Nevil Shute's In The Wet can provide some ideas/
everyone gets the basic vote.
Married - an additional one
Children - an additional one
Own your own business - an additional one
Education - an additional one
forgot the 6th reason
the 7th vote could be granted by the Queen(King) of England\\

Howard Garner