Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default U.K. Gas and Electricity Prices

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 04:13:51 -0800 (PST) someone who may be Ardamerr
wrote this:-

I know that this post is 'off topic' so to speak but I believe there
are many mature and concerned folk use this newsgroup and I value
their opinions as to both its content and intent. I have sent the
message copied below to a number of Labour M.P.s and I intend to send
it to every Labour M.P. over the next few weeks.

MPs (or rather their staff) undoubtedly get such e-mails regularly.
However, they are highly likely to ignore them (or send a "reply"
which amounts to the same thing) unless they know that the sender is
a constituent. The normal way of getting a useful reply from a
Minister is to ask your MP to ask them. That may sound like a quaint
18th Century idea (in many ways it is), but it does have the
advantage that by convention Ministers are not allowed to ignore a
question from an MP.

It is sometimes possible to get a reply from an MP who represents
another constituency. However, that depends on a well written and
relevant letter. Perhaps that MP has a special interest in the
subject or they used to be the writer's MP.

I note with dismay
that, as at today the no. 10 Downing street e-mail facility is
'down'!?

If you write directly to an individual Minister, do pick the
relevant one, then you will get less attention than if it comes via
an MP. Presumably the Prime Minister's office is bombarded with
communications, all of which get fairly standard replies.

If you want to let off steam, bombarding every MP with the same
e-mail is one way of doing so. If you want to stand any chance of
changing things then there are better ways. Just because one can
e-mail every MP does not mean it is a good idea to do so.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh