Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default How to drill a 3/4" hole in metal?

On Nov 3, 7:39*pm, wrote:
It was just an example of a large bit. It can drill
a large hole. My 3/4 step bits have a 3/8 shank and
I have used them to drill 3/4" holes in 1/4 inch
aluminum without a problem. Comprehend before you
post.

TDD

Oh I do comprehend. Drilling a 3/4 hole with a 3/8 shank
through 1/4 aluminum could easily be a losing proposition.

First you argue that the bits do not exist, then you argue the link is
incorrect,
then you argue the shank size is wrong, then you argue the bits won't
work

they exist & they work in standard sized drill chucks & they work in
1/4" alumimum with a 3/8" shank
(even with 1/4" shank) aluminum is soft; even 6063-T6 BTDT

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/....aspx?ID=11037

so please stop saying it won't work / cannot be done........it can &
easily.

Drilling a 3/4 hole with a 3/8 shank through 1/4 aluminum could easily be a losing proposition.

Yeah, using the wrong tool, the wrong technique or the wrong operator.

Alternative method:

Drill a 3/4" hole in aluminum with a HSS paddle bit ...not the most
beautiful result with a used bit
but with a new $5 Irwin bit & lube it will be
fine................DBTDT too

(back up the aluminum plate with a piece of plywood to save the paddle
bit spurs)

cheers
Bob