Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
Tomes[_2_] Tomes[_2_] is offline

Default bagger for rider

"Tomes" :
"dpb" ...
Eric in North TX wrote:
On Nov 2, 9:51 am, dpb wrote:
Eric in North TX wrote:
...I've had riders with baggers;
and they were bulky & hampered maneuverability + didn't really work
that well.
Have (and have had) several...while somewhat true about the added
size
(pretty much inevitable to obtain the functionality), they have and
do
work quite satisfactorily.
... but the discharge side is just useless with a bagger, ...

Well, you simply have to use them as intended. You go 'round obstacles
from the non-discharge side, obviously.

Two rounds clockwise clears the bagger discharge/chute from
obstructions
such as fences/hedges/house, whatever; then lay out the lands as
appropriate for counter-clockwise mowing.

Excess stuff in the way of mowing needs fixing, anyway, bagger or not.

Yep, I have a trailer bagger garbage can type following a JD 48 inch cut
GT262 and it is all in the mowing strategy. All precision cuts are done
on
the left side, no problem.
Tomes

do you have pics and where did you get the pipe for the deckm abd how
did you attach to deck?

Slight misunderstanding here. I did not make this, I bought it. Look up
TracVac
http://www.trac-vac.com/index_files/Model452.htm
This is either the one I have or it is similar. I bought it about 12 years
ago and it still does the job fine, no worries. I just needed to replace
the hose once as they eventually crack. They have many models of various
sizes.

See, I thought about making one then too. I had my visions of using a boxed
trailer with the high lift blades whisking the stuff up into the box and
then dumping it all at once into the pile. The trouble is that when I
really researched it out I discovered that there was not enough power to get
the stuff all the way to the top of the box - it is a long way against
gravity for stuff that is heavy, unless one goes at the pace of the amoeba.
So I would need an interim impeller to give it the extra boost. That's
gotta be mounted and aligned somehow. Then I need the extra hoses for all
that length. If one does not use steel reinforced hose it will not last
long at all and will rip exactly when one does not need it to. Even with
the good hose that comes with the bought unit it rips in between the ribbing
and I duct tape it up. Then there is the big box. If it is too big it
becomes unmanageable. That garbage can turns out to be a reasonable size
that I can handle, yet holds a significant amount.

So I ended up just buying one that is well thought out and robust through
the JD dealer.

If you do make this (and I wish you well for it), The JD or Simplicity
dealers have the hose, but it is expensive (I believe over 10 bucks a
foot?). They can sell you the adapter that fits your deck exactly and for
safety I at least recommend that as there are a lot of forces involved at
that point and you do not want it to blow off and have the metal flying
around.
My US$0.02,
Tomes