Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to drill a 3/4" hole in metal?

wrote:
God I'm surprised only one guy told you the right answer... You use a
"step bit", Home Depot has them, they are cone shaped and cut 1/16 or
1/8 inch per step, you stop pushing when you hit the 3/4 inch step.
They cut very fast, clean, and round especially through aluminum, but
set the drill slower for aluminum. They are not cheap bits but well
worth the money for metal fabrication jobs.

They probably didn't tell him to use a step bit drill for two reasons.

First they only go to 1/2 inch.

Second if you find a 3/4 inch step drill the depth of each
land is less than 1/4 inch

ERRRRRRR!!! Wrong! I have a one inch step bit
in my drill case. It doesn't have a drill point.
I have to drill a 1/2 inch hole first. Large
step bits are very expensive and may only be
available from supply houses that serve more of
a professional clientele. I've been working in
the field of fabrication (not the political kind)
for many years so I know these things. I'm also
a tool junkie. Google before you post. One example:

http://tinyurl.com/5sfgnc

TDD