Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O Greg O is offline

Default OT Propane, No Usage Fee?

"Steve Ackman" wrote in message
rg...

I don't even have to look at an enegy calculator.
Just got #2 oil last week for $2.99/gal. and propane
is coming this week for $3.12/gal.
HUH??? With propane only yielding... what, ~70% the
heat content of oil, propane is a REALLY BAD deal right
now.

--

Oil burning units are typically at best 80% efficient, LP can run into the
mid 90% range. I popped the numbers in quick and fuel oil at 80% and $2.99,

Now one thing to consider is to operate at its highest efficiency and oil
unit needs attention at least every two years. Most oil burners I see get
attention when they quit running! A typical tune for oil is a new nozzle,
filter, adjust the spark electrodes and run, Forest, run. I have tested
quite a few oil burners and have yet to see one running close to 80%, unless
I had just done a GOOD tune which includes cleaning the heat exchanger
besides the fore mentioned. One residential oil burning furnace I worked on
lately I removed 5 gallons of sot from inside the heat exchanger!! Most I
see are running around 50% efficiency because lack of maintenace! (I worked
on a boiler the other day that was running 40%!!) Plug in the numbers at 50%
efficiency and the cost per million for oil jumps to $43.12! Plus consider
the maintenance oil requires where a high efficiency LP burner will require
little to no maintenance and oil gets worse yet.
For me to do a good tune on your oil burner I would spend 3-4 hours, at $90
an hour, plus parts, add that to your heating bill!

Lucky for me I have natural gas, and even adding all the taxes, and any
adjustments my cost per million BTU at 94% is $21.28.
Greg