Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Salisbury[_3_] James Salisbury[_3_] is offline

Default Soldering Iron for Computer Cables

Brian Reay wrote:
"Robin" .@. wrote in message
Sigh.

Can anyone recommend a soldering iron that, er, works.

I have a small customer computer cable that I need to solder to an RS232
DE-9. (i.e. 4 small wires onto a mounting block.)

I've got a Antex 16-18w iron that I got from Maplin a couple of years
back, but rarely used. It doesn't even melt the flippin solder when I try
to tin the tip.

So, any recommendations for a decent iron?

An Antex 16W should be man enough. As someone has asked, are you using lead
free solder? It really is a pain, see if you can get some "proper" Leaded
solder. It is still available for sale- it is a myth that it is illegal.

Also, clean the bit before trying to "tin" it- the Antex bits tend to go
black when new. Get is hot and rub with steel wool then tin it or you can
get abrasive fluxed pads for the purpose.

I use this little lot for most jobs
http://uk.farnell.com/cooper-tools-w...-80w/dp/977974

You may find the plateing has gone on your tip.