Posted to alt.home.repair
Glia Glia is offline

Default Generac Generator EXL5500 start problems

On Nov 3, 1:38*pm, "Dan Kuechle" wrote:
"Speedy Jim" wrote in message

Glia wrote:
On Nov 3, 10:44 am, ransley wrote:

On Nov 3, 10:30 am, Glia wrote:

Can be caused by "hydraulic lock" if raw fuel is getting into the
cylinder (aka flooding) during periods of shutdown.

Jim

If it is "hydraulic lock" it should clear after taking out spark plug,
turning over a few times, and reinstalling spark plug. *Have you tried this?
I'll assume its still hard to turn over once sparkplug has gone back in.

Have you tried removing the electrical load? *That should make it turn over
easier, perhaps even easy enough so you could live with a bad decompression
valve (if that's what the problem is).

Dan

Dan:
I am trying to start without any electric load connected is that is
what you refer to. Is there a way to disengage the actual coil from
the generator? I can turn the flywheel when I remove the pullstart
relatively easily when the spark plug is removed. So of course does
the starter motor. However, when I put the spark-plug back in it is
next to impossible to turn either using the motor that locks up or by
pulling on the string like a mad-man.
Harry