Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Skylights: double up the rafters?

On Oct 25, 11:27*am, "Toffee Monday" wrote:
wrote in message

On Oct 24, 7:49 pm, "Toffee Monday" wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

rs.com...

On 10/24/2008 3:40 PM Aaron Fude spake thus:

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Normally, the rafters are not doubled up. * A typical skylight
requires one rafter to be cut to make a large enough opening, and that
is what is done. *Then the opening is boxed in to the right size using
a doubled cross piece the same dimension as the rafter at the top of
the opening and at the bottom that is tied in to the rafters on either
side. *That provides sufficient structural integrity. * In essence the
cut rafter is still there and carrying load, it's just tied in now
with the skylight framing.

I'm very proficient in framing, you needn't attempt to tell me how framing
is done.

Last time I checked, people in this thread were giving advice to the
guy who made the original post, not you, so no need to get testy.

You missed the OP's question, I suggest you re-read it. They're not cutting
any rafters.-

Well, I did mis-read the question a bit. And you could certainly
take the question that way. However, just because some homeowner on
here says they are putting a skylight between 2 rafters, doesn't mean
they aren't cutting one out in between the two. If you cut one in
the middle, you still have a skylight between two rafters. No
mention was made of the size of the sklight or the spacing of the
rafters. Just that fact alone should tell you that the person
seeking advice may not fully understand the situation.